Thursday 8 May 2014

Summer Skin




The weeks are rolling in quickly and I don’t know about you but I am so excited for Summer 2014! It won’t be long before (hopefully) the sun will be shining and we’ll be getting our milky white pins (just me?) out for the first time this year. I thought it would be appropriate to write a post on getting your skin Summer ready from both the inside and out.

*As I was in the middle of writing this I realised it was getting wayyy too long (I definitely like to talk), so have decided to split it into a three part series. First on the agenda is prepping your skin for summer from the outside: skincare.




1. Exfoliate exfoliate exfoliate

If you aren’t a regular exfoliator I highly recommend you invest in a good liquid exfoliant. I love Clarins Gentle Exfoliator, Brightening Toner and Alpha H Liquid Gold. They definitely aren’t cheap but from the results I received, these two beauties are totally worth every penny. As important as exfoliating is all year round,  it’s even more vital in the Summer months. Between sweat, suncream etc. your skin has extra to put up with so give it a little helping hand by sloughing away all the dead skin cells and grime of the day, your skin will thank you!
We’re usually quite good at taking care of the skin on our face, after all it’s what’s staring at us in the mirror every day, but I know I for one am quite bold for neglecting the rest of my body during the year when it’s all hidden away under layers of clothing. Not this time of year!  To get your skin in top condition for Summer you need to think about a body exfoliator and a moisturiser too, or if you’re like me, after-sun (that smell just gives me the summery holiday feeling). You might also want to consider a gradual tan moisturiser, I know I don’t fancy showing off my translucent milk bottles until they have reached a normal colour! Body brushes are also good to get some circulation going and getting rid of the dead and dry skin cells to make way for new, glowing bright skin.

2. Clay cleansers

Our skin can become more oily in the summer months. Help combat this by using a good clay cleanser for a deep cleanse. I’m a big fan of REN Clearcalm 3 Clarifying Cleanser which I use with my Clarisonic Mia. This cleanser helps mattify the skin and clear the pores for an all day shine free face (my fav!).

 3. Hydration

You might be saying you have normal or oily skin; definitely not dry. This doesn’t mean your skin isn’t dehydrated. Having dry and dehydrated skin are two different things: dry skin produces little to no oil and is prone to being flak whereas dehydrated skin is likely to have fine lines and occur commonly (but not exclusively) in those with oily skin. Dry skin can be treated with a good moisturiser specific to dry skin. To combat dehydrated skin you need to give it a dose of hyaluronic acid, hydrating it from the bottom layer up. Try and avoid any foaming cleansers, stick to balms or milks - try Emma Hardie, Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm. Also don't be afraid of oils if you have oily skin. I swear by Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil which is specifically for balancing oily to combination skin. 
I also find hydrating mists are lovely to keep in your bag and spritz on your face throughout the day if your skin is feeling a little tight or you’re just in need of freshening up! I love Balance Me – Skin Bright Hydrating Mist.

I'm keen to hear your summer skin tips and products you love, nothing is more gorgeous in the summer than bright and healthy skin. I'll get the second post up very soon :)


Love,
Lydia x

No comments:

Post a Comment