Sunday 13 April 2014

Abs Mania


Hey Guys!

So when I'm working out at home by myself, I always need loads of motivation. I am pretty competitive so if I am exercising in a group I always want to be the fastest and strongest,  but working out by myself I don't have the same contest. I can also be super bad with time management, I will always try and set aside an hour to work out, but of course I will run out of time and I always have other things to do.

This is exactly how my 20 minute workout came about.

Its quick and simple and gets your heart racing! This workout is based on the High intensity Interval Training principal (HIIT), where doing short bursts of intense exercise are thought to be more efficient and effective than prolonged steady exercise.  Absolutely perfect for me, I love working out, I just need some help with my time management.

Generally I pick 4 or 5 songs which get me pumped and keep me going the whole time. Before starting I always have an idea of the areas of my body I want to work and a list of exercises. I always combine some cardio with toning exercises to get a good overall body work out.

Today I decided to share with you the workout I love doing to Calvin Harris -Summer (My absolute favourite song of the moment....Roll on summer 2014!!). Because the song is about summer and I am trying my hardest to get some resemblance of abs before I go away on holiday;  an abs  work out is an obvious choice. It's quick paced and hopefully it gets your abs burning. I do each exercise for approximately 30 seconds and save the power skipping for when the beat drops shortly after the chorus (Such a good feeling makes me feel so pumped!).

Check it out and let me know what you guys think, this is just what I enjoy doing from time to time. But I always mix it up and try a few different combinations.

I have included a description of each exercise in case you have never heard of them before. Sorry in advance but my descriptive skills are rubbish, so if you don't understand what I am talking about I would suggest googling them to make sure you are doing them right :)


Lou <3



Crunches- Similar to sit ups but you raise and lower yourself slightly off the floor. Shorter and sharper than a sit up.

Reverse Crunch -Still lying down with your legs raised off the ground, bring your legs back towards your chest and reach  them up to the sky and then back to the original start position.

Press up into side plank- Do a basic press up, then rotate so your body is facing either left or right and you are balancing on one hand. Stretch your other hand up to the sky and hold for a few seconds before returning to your press up position, then repeat on the other side.

Plank- standard plank, balance on elbows and toes. Keep your core engaged and ensure your bum isn't dropping down too low or up too high.

Punch sit up- perform a normal sit up with a couple of punches at the top of the sit up before lowering yourself back down onto your mat.

Twist and shout- Sitting down with your knees slightly bent, lift your feet up off the floor and balance yourself in this position. Reach your hands straight up in the air and then lower both hands down to one side of your body repeat continuously.

Power Skipping - I always think of this as something similar to the running man. Start with your hands in the air  bring both of your arms down together and  simultaneously raise one knee. Repeat again swapping legs- this is meant to be performed quick and with a lot of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment