Tuesday 4 March 2014

Pancake Tuesday


So it's that time of the year again. PANCAKE TUESDAY!! As a child it probably the only day of the year that we were allowed to eat sweet stuff for dinner and who doesn't love that?! This year I was super excited as always and perhaps slightly over enthusiastic when it came to my pancake making...

Not to sound big headed or anything but I think that after several years of pancake making, I have pretty much mastered the whole normal pancake/crepe thing to the point where I no longer have to measure the ingredients, I just wing everything in and make it up to the right consistency. So this year I decided to broaden my approach and make a few different pancake varieties including the momma of all pancakes.....the super food pancake. Yes I know, why is it necessary to tamper with something which already tastes so good? I wanted to be able to make a pancake which was tasty but yet was a healthier alternative to the ones I normally make, especially as I have been trying to make healthier versions of all my recipes. Of course I had to make a chocolate one, it wouldn't be pancake day without a chocolate pancake :) But my super pancake recipe turned out really well, and something I'll definitely be making again!

The Super Pancake  

Named after the inclusion of the super food Flaxseed. This recipe is basically an adaption of my usual pancake recipe except I haven't used sugar, instead  I substituted some plain flour for wholemeal flour and added flaxseed.

But why is flaxseed so good? It contains high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids required for maintaining a healthy heart as well as providing us with some protective effects in against cancer. It is also very high in fibre, proteins and other micronutrients, thus being categorised as a super food! So if you aren't keen on oily fish, flaxseed could be a good alternative to ensure you are getting your essential fatty acids.

Ingredients:
100g plain flour
100g Wholemeal Flour
1 egg
1 dessert spoon of  Stevia (Optional)
2 heaped dessert spoons of Flaxseed. (add more if you wish)
Milk (I don't have a notion how much I added, I prefer my pancakes thin so I kept adding milk until it made the right consistency)

Method:
Super duper easy....Throw all the ingredients in together and whisk/mix until combined.
Ladle some of the batter onto a pan and cook, using a little olive oil to prevent it sticking to the pan.
For more crepe-like pancakes add more milk and put less batter into the pan. Then spread the mixture thinly out over the base of the pan.

Toppings:
My favourite one was with some Low-Fat Greek yogurt, blueberries, raspberries and a small drizzling of maple syrup over the top.
I made some delicious naughty pancakes as well. Apple, sugar and cinnamon cinnamon and also white chocolate and blueberries pancakes. So so yummy, both combinations are tasty toppings for you pancakes if you are looking to try something new.

Let me know what you think of my recipe or your favourite pancake toppings. I'm always looking for new ideas :)

Lou <3



No comments:

Post a Comment